'viewer' shell extension

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Hi,

Do you plan to introduce 'viewer' type shell extensions? Like the old GAC viewer or windows WebDAV extension.

It would be a great tool to show something from a web server in windows explorer.

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Hi,

Do you mean the Shell Namespace Extensions? (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144095(v=vs.85).aspx)

These are the ones that let you view any kind of arbitrary data as if it is a folder or hierarchy in Explorer.

These are definitely something I'd like to support, and probably a significant enough feature for me to spend some time over it and make it the 'SharpShell 2.0' key feature.

One thing that's really critical in helping develop the feature is having a really solid sample for it, this helps me test it in a real-world scenario and also helps generate interest in the potential usefulness of the feature - if you were going to pick an example, what would it be? The GAC is definitely a good one, or maybe the registry too...
Apr 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Right, Shell Namespace Extensions.

"Namespace extensions use one of two approaches for creating a folder view:

•Use your child window to host a list view control. This control allows you to display the contents of a folder in much the same way as the Windows Explorer classic view.
•Use your child window to host a WebBrowser control and use a Dynamic HTML (DHTML) document to display the contents of the folder."

Is it possible to host other controls like split container, tabbed UI, ribbon, etc?

Since I'm more into web programming, possible examples might be
  • a blog reader / editor - a list of blog posts (with some attributes like title, author, date published, etc) + WinForms GUI to show the whole post. Maybe add a button and/or custom context menu to delete a post. This example will show how to show a collection of items and create custom UI(forms, buttons, context menus) to show details, set some properties or manipulate items in some other way. A sample editor will show how to push data to a server (though it will complicate the sample). Web service authentication would be a plus.
  • a hosted WebBrowser control with custom menu bars and context menu. Show a solar system (http://libcanvas.github.io/games/solar/) with detailed info about a planet using context menu
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
I'll get started on these ASAP - follow the project on codeplex to keep up to date - thanks for the input so far!