Icon Overlays not working

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I've tried to use the icon overlays and they aren't working. I followed the tutorial on CodePlex, and when that didn't work I downloaded the source code, compiled the examples and tried to use them (both LockedFileIconOverlayHandler and ReadOnlyFileIconOverlayHandler). Nada. I've tried them on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (my local machine) and a 32-bit Windows 7 running in a VM. Each time I run regasm it successfully registers and I can see the entries in the registry. I reboot the machine and try to view the overlay for read only and/or locked files, but they aren't showing up. I've run a similar example from Microsoft written in C++ and it works so I know that my machines can display new icon overlays...just not these.

Do I have to do something else?? Am I supposed to put the SharpShell assemblies somewhere special?

I tried to debug using the "Server Manager" tool, but it just crashes whenever I try to open it (yes...I ran as administrator).
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Can you try opening the the server manager tool after downloading the full source code and building it? Also, if you do this, turn on the logging feature, and see if you get any SharpShell messages in the event log, this might inform you of what's going on. A common issue is that there are too many icon handlers already registered - you could try removing all existing icon handlers, then registering your ones...
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM
I get the following errors (the ServerManager warnings appear to be because the ServerManager project [circularly] references ServerManager.exe...which is the output of the project...is this intentional??):

Warning 1 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "ServerManager, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. ServerManager

Warning 2 The referenced component 'ServerManager' could not be found.

Error 3 The type or namespace name 'SFGAO' does not exist in the namespace 'Apex.WinForms.Interop' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Downloads[Dev.Code.Libs.Etc][Code.Samples][Shell.Extensions]\sharpshell-23541\SharpShell\Tools\ServerManager\TestShell\TestShellForm.cs 23 37 ServerManager
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I've fixed the two issues - the latest version of the code (either the changeset, or the source code for 1.6) solves these problems - thanks for the heads up!

On 15 March 2013 07:01, kdavlin <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I get the following errors (the ServerManager warnings appear to be because the ServerManager project [circularly] references ServerManager.exe...which is the output of the project...is this intentional??):

Warning 1 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "ServerManager, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. ServerManager

Warning 2 The referenced component 'ServerManager' could not be found.

Error 3 The type or namespace name 'SFGAO' does not exist in the namespace 'Apex.WinForms.Interop' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Downloads[Dev.Code.Libs.Etc][Code.Samples][Shell.Extensions]\sharpshell-23541\SharpShell\Tools\ServerManager\TestShell\TestShellForm.cs 23 37 ServerManager

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpshell@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpshell@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Excellent! The entire solution compiles and the ServerManager runs without crashing now! Thank you!

I still need to try out the Icon Overlays to verify that they are working...but I don't have time just yet. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Glad that things are moving in the right direction - let me know if you continue to have issues and I'll work through them with you : )

On 20 March 2013 04:47, kdavlin <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Excellent! The entire solution compiles and the ServerManager runs without crashing now! Thank you!

I still need to try out the Icon Overlays to verify that they are working...but I don't have time just yet. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpshell@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpshell@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com